Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Arsenal

Since i'm going mobile, i've been testing couple of things that would fit my need. And so far here's my arsenal.

EBuddy
I'm using yahoo, so far I've only tried ebuddy for my phone. The result is satisfying. Online for about one hour, it only send about 100 KB data. Translate to the value based mode, that means I only spent 100 rupiah :D. The amount data sent/receive will vary though, depend on how intense your chatting is. For this trial I'm chatting with 3 different people, so this result keep making me smile all day long :D

I tried leaving ebudy online for all night long. When i woke up in the morning, i found my phone dead because of low bat. Ouch, i forget about that. The j2me application + the 3g connection seems to cost a lot of power :(

When i check my balance, the total connection cost about 800 rupiah, with rough estimation of my previous usage before i got to sleep. I'm guessing leaving ebuddy online for an hour cost about 200 rupiah, which is pretty strange. I'm guessing it should be around 50 rupiah for leaving it online idle for an hour. Well I'm to lazy to try it again, so I'll leave it like that for now.

Pidgin/JMesengger
After a long time, chatting in your phone can be very tiresome. Since I'm gonna do a lot of chat with my friend, i think i need better alternative when I'm connected to my computer. For this I've installed pidgin, since i think it will block other YM plugins that i didn't need. And It also will block the adds from yahoo. But this scheme didn't work out well, it blocks the add and the plugins allright. But the initial connection is 600 KB since i'm using the value based, that cost about 600 rupiah just for logging in :( and it equals to 5 minutes of using the time based mode :(

Switching to the time based mode didn't work either, since rest of the bandwidth will be wasted and unused if i only need to chat with my friends.

My last alternative is to download the JMessenger code and try to strip functionality down to my needs. Well its gonna take a long time, but i think it will be worth it, and maybe other can take benefit from this also. Let's hope i have the skill to do it :P

Firefox offline mode
Actually other browser can do it to. But since i'm using firefox so i'll leave it like that :D

In writing this blog. I use my phone as a modem, set the connection to time based mode, dial it using pc suite. Login to blogger using firefox, create a new post, set firefox to "Work offline" mode, and then cut the connection from pc suite.

Take all the time i need to think and write. When i'm finished, disabled the work offline mode, connect the modem using pc suite, publish my post and disconnect it again.

To write this post and the previous one, it only cost me 500 rupiah, neat eh :D its pretty cheap for mobile connection. Each post equals to writing one sms, well if you're using simpati it will be more expensive to write a sms which only contain "Ok" and sent it to your friend with different provider :P

Mobile GMail
One of the coolest mobile apps out there. When you're bored and got nothing to do. You can read all of those unuseful milist that you keep subscribing and didn't bother to read :P

Opera Mini
Though other apps is great, but nothing beats browsing freely in the net. In time like that, opera mini gives you the greatest satisfaction. Since it will stripped down all of the unnecessary tag and send the compressed data to your phone. But beware though the comfortability depends on how big your phone screen is :D

Epilogue
Last but not least, i haven't try any dedicated download. But i read on the internet that with 10000 rupiah, you can download 1.2 Gigabytes data using the HSDPA connection. Wow that awesome :D

So far my personal experience is, browsing from my computer for 20 minute, cost 2200 rupiah and 17.5 MB data is transfered :D, with value based that will cost 17.500 rupiah. Indosat is the best for this kind of thing.

To put in simple term, use the value based when you're connected from your phone. And use the time based when you need to download something from the internet :D With that you are set to go mobile :D

2 comments:

Niels said...

Hey did you know eBuddy has a Webmessenger too? You can create an eBuddy ID to login multiple accounts at once (MSN, Y!, AIM, Gtalk) which you can use to login in your phone as well as on the Web:
http://ebuddy.com#ebuddyid

B said...

thanks i didn't know that.