Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

WAS 6.1

I'm in a bit of a pinch right now. It's been two weeks i'm struggling with Was 6.1 Trying to set it up and deployed my company application with minimal guidance. Stressfull since i dont have the proper training and not actually my job desc.

Why do expensive things have to be painfull to learn and maintain ? Just trying to find the setting for initialHeap and maximum heap is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I need to set it because i kept getting out of memory error for my application. And If you're looking the samething as me, you can browse it from the administrative console :

Application servers > server1 > Process Definition > Java Virtual Machine

Its so hard to find, my intuition didn't get me there without much help. And adding fuel to the fire, when i set up the initial heap to 1024 and the max heap to 2048. The server goes down and can't be brought up again. Later i found out that there's a problem between my company application with WAS. The garbage collector collide with my application so the max heap can only be set to 1024.

The problem is, since i can't bring up the administrative console to revert my changes. I Have to do it manually, if you can imagine my previous haystack. Please image there's another haystack next to it, double the height and throw the needle i found in the haystack to that haystack.

No hope for relying on windows search tools, i miss find and grep in linux so much in this kind of situation. Luckyly something good come out from this nightmare. To shed some light to my situation a friend of me suggested fart (not that fart) to help me search the files. Fart is acronym for Find And Replace Tool. Pretty neat and help me find the file i wanted. Its in :

appServer\profiles\AppSrv01\config\cells\[your server node]\nodes\[your server node]\servers\server1\server.xml

I erase the initial heap and maximum heap, and the server can go up again. And what bring me joy the most out of the situation. Later i found out about unix util. Porting of most comandline utility in unix for windows OS. That marked the end of using sucky windows search.

Enough ranting, its time to go home.

G'night

No comments: